Step aside coffee - the best way forward everyday is with good gut health in mind. A complex ecosystem that houses your gut microbiota, the balance of power between good and bad gut bacteria is key to good health. Everyday.
Research has shown that poor gut health is linked to inflammation, increased disease, obesity, diabetes, lowered immunity (70% of your immune system is housed in your gut), and even depression. The gut is often referred to as our second brain because it contains 100 million neurons and even though serotonin is mainly known as the happy hormone, it is estimated that 90% of the body's serotonin is actually made in the digestive tract. Therefore it is essential to have a healthy gut if you want to have a healthy mind and body.
A healthy gut has a high level of good bacteria and a low level of bad bacteria. Having an acidic lifestyle of lots of junk, sugar, excessive alcohol, coffee, fatty meats and prolonged antibiotic destroy good bacteria and feed your bad bacteria, leaving you with an unhealthy gut and poor health.
Symptoms of an unhealthy gut can include bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, leaky gut, bad breath, yeast over growth, white tongue, sugar cravings, brain fog, increased inflammation and joint pain and weight gain.
Choosing an alkaline lifestyle with lots of organic vegetables, whole foods and pre-biotic foods that promote gut health is the perfect way to boost your good bacteria and therefore catapult you into outrageously good health.
The good news is that living an alkaline lifestyle is not hard. It would be if we lived it 100% of the time but that would be impossible.We can't all live on smoothies and do yoga 24/7 and hold down a job.
Here are 10 easy ways to alkalise for good gut health
1. Drink two litres of water every day.
2. Take two teaspoons of WelleCo SUPER ELIXIR Greens daily to boost overall nutrition and maintain your body’s healthy alkaline range.
3. Eat more plants from the colour of the rainbow.
4. Reduce dairy by replacing cow’s milk with almond or rice milk. If you can’t live without it, opt for goat or sheep milk varieties. Swap your whey protein (a by-product of dairy) for a plant protein.
5. Eat less meat and more fish to reduce your acidic load and if you find it tricky to source good clean protein, especially if at work, add in our WelleCo NOURISHING PLANT PROTEIN to fast track your health.
6. Reduce coffee to one per day maximum and only if you drink your 2L of water.
7. Choose gluten-free bread and pasta, but it is best to swap even these out for quinoa, amaranth and brown rice because they are less processed.
8. Reduce sugar and remove artificial sweeteners.
9. Include a de-stress activity into your day, like meditating, walking, yoga, or swimming.
10. Make sure you get good quality sleep of 6-8 hours.
FOOD TIP If it looks on your plate like it did in nature – devour!
Start your own story with WelleCo today...