Leading nutritionist Dr. Simoné Laubscher (WelleCo; Rejuv Wellness) shares her advice on how to grow thicker, glossier hair while minimizing breakage and hair loss
“Research shows that at least one in three women will experience hair loss, or reduced hair volume at some point in their life,” says leading nutritionist Dr. Simoné Laubscher PhD, “and potential triggers can generally be either genetic or reactive. Some people may be predisposed to thinning hair while, for others, it can be caused by external factors including stress, hormonal imbalance, menopause and insufficient nutrients.
“However, we can all take comfort in the fact that this can often be remedied with dietary and lifestyle changes.” Here, Dr. Simone shares her advice on how to achieve healthy, happy hair through good nutrition.
- Be sure to consume ample protein to support optimum hair health, as well as complex carbohydrates, which give our hair energy that is necessary for growth. Energy that is available to hair cells tends to drop if there is longer than four hours between each meal, so snack on some healthy options such as fresh fruit, or whole-wheat crackers.
- Boost your diet with hair-loving ingredients such as iodine, which supports a healthy thyroid that, in turn, supports thick, lustrous hair; iron, which is essential for producing the protein building blocks of hair; and zinc, with deficiency often contributing to hair loss.
- Cut down on sugar, which can cause your body to produce increased levels of DHT, a hormone that triggers hair loss, causing hair to look thinner and more brittle as it grows out, as well as falling out faster.
- Supplement your diet to fill any nutritional gaps.Research has shown that supplementation has proven effective towards preventing hair loss and preserving hair health, but it’s important to choose a premium, quality supplement with the right hair-supporting ingredients. I recommend WelleCo’s The Hair Elixir, which I formulated to maintain healthy hair with a vegan blend of biotin, amino acids, zinc, omega complex and iodine from organic seaweed. It also contains the adaptogen Rodiola to help the body adapt to stress, which can be a common root cause of adult hair loss.
- Cut down on damaging lifestyle factors that may lead to stress, and generally embrace a healthy, active lifestyle. This will do wonders for your mind, body, soul – and hair!