Image: Sincerely Jules
Stylist Mon Palmer gives us her tips for creating the perfect setting to see in 2018.
- Comfort is key so consider how you will heat the area (a pit fire, outdoor heater) or cool it down (plenty of shade please). Ensure whatever materials are underfoot are comfortable to stand-on, and suitably warming or cooling.
- If you are in Australia, make sure the pool is fresh and the prickles are out of the lawn.
- Add plenty of seating and tables, and generous soft furnishings. Use lots of texture, with an eclectic assortment of beautiful cushions. If it’s cool, be sure to supply plenty of beautiful throw rugs for guests to snuggle under.
- Fill pots with glossy green foliage, and group in odd numbers (always so much more effective than an even number grouping). Add art and mirrors to the mix, to give the space new life.
- Create good vibes with carefully-considered styling, creative lighting (think festoon, mood and utility), and a good sound system with an en pointe playlist of 2017’s best.
Image: Pier One Sydney Harbour
Here’s where to go off with a bang this NYE.
1 SYDNEY.Pack a picnic and cast your glaze firmly on Sydney Harbour, as 120 tons of pyrotechnics light up the night-sky.
2 DUBAI.Watch fireworks explode from the top of The Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest skyscraper.
3 RIOSnap, crackle, POP on Copacabana Beach. Say no more.
4 LAS VEGAS.Extravagant (of course) with 80,000 fireworks exploding over the city’s casinos.
5 MIAMI The 35-foot neon Big Orange will descend from the Inter-Continental Miami, followed by the always huge fireworks show at Bayfront Park.
Looking for a healthy way to see in 2018? Try a pomegranate ginger mocktail with mint - a clean, but delicious, alcohol alternative.
Image: My Domaine
Pomegranate Ginger Mocktail
(Adapted from a recipe on ABC)
1 cup filtered water
Knob ginger, peeled, and cut into slices
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
Pomegranate ginger soda with mint:
2 tablespoons ginger syrup (recipe above)
6 large fresh mint leaves
1/2 lime, sliced into thin rounds
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
For the syrup: In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the coconut sugar, water and ginger slices. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the ginger has infused, about 15-20 minutes. Strain the ginger from the syrup and discard or reserve for another use.
Fill a tall tumbler with ice and set aside. In the bottom of a cocktail shaker, muddle together the ginger syrup, mint leaves, and 1 lime round. Add the pomegranate juice and fill with ice. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds and pour mixture into glass. Top with sparkling water and garnish with a lime round and serve.