Protein is essential for living organisms. It gives us energy, helps our bodies recover, and keeps our tummies satisfied. So how do you know if you’re getting enough?
Constant food cravings and needing snacks often between meals may be the consequence of a high-carb/sugar and low-protein diet. Including protein at each meal evens out blood sugar highs and lows.
Some of the first signs you’re not eating enough protein are thin hair, peeling skin and nails.Foggy brain, short bursts of mental energy, followed by the fog may be related to fluctuating blood sugar and lack of protein.
- Replace processed foods and lots of carbs and sugars with whole foods including fruit, veges, wholegrains, lentils, beans, nuts, seeds, organic chicken and fish.
- For a snack on the run or as a meal replacement our all-plant SUPER ELIXIR Nourishing Protein is super nutritious and delicious. It contains acai for healthy free radical elimination, iron, magnesium, zinc and importantly all 9 essential amino acids.
|SHOP SUPER ELIXIR NOURISHING PROTEIN|
Smoothie hack – when is it meal or a snack?
Put your hand up if this sounds familiar. You start your day with the best of intentions, a green smoothie packed with veges, but you barely make it to 10am without hunger pains striking…. What you’re forgetting is a few key ingredients to turn your blended up vege into an uber healthy meal in a jar. Here’s what you need to know.
Fruit blended with coconut water isn’t going to cut it smoothie friends. In order for a smoothie to qualify as a meal, it needs a few key components in the form of protein, fibre and some healthy fat.
- Include at least two high-protein additions like Nourishing Protein, chia seeds, nut butter or hemp seeds.
- Fibre helps you feel full for longer, try adding oats, dates, or even pumpkin purée.
- Fat can be your friend, add a little coconut oil, avocado, or ground flax seeds for better protein absorption.
An easy way to portion a snack smoothie is make it half the volume of your breakfast smoothie. Alternatively throw in 1 X fruit, 1 X protein, liquid of choice and blitz. A snack smoothie should be an easy sipper, not a meal in a glass.