Dr Simone Laubscher PhD on why drinking water can be life-changing, and how to know when to top-it-up or put down your glass.
Becoming properly hydrated makes a huge difference to your health, energy, vitality and immunity. It helps cleanse the digestive system, ignite your metabolism and buffer excess acids. Everything is influenced by the quantity and quality of the water you drink.
In treating thousands of patients over the past 20 years I have found that around 90 percent of people are chronically dehydrated, and this is having a massive impact on their quality of life. Physical signs you are not drinking enough water include headaches, muscle cramps, dry mouth, feeling hungry or fatigued, and sugar cravings – all good reasons to ramp up your water intake!
Drinking water can feel boring and at the beginning you may need to pee a lot till the tone in your bladder improves. Most people give up after the first week for they presume this is now their lives will be with so many trips to the bathroom, but this is will subside! So like creating all new habits, stick with it for 3 weeks, your bladder will get stronger and you will also develop a thirst again, making it really easy to maintain this great habit. A great way to fast track your hydration is to hold water in your mouth for 30-60 seconds before you swallow.
We are all different, but your goal should be 2 litres per day. If you do a sports session, add an extra 500ml. So our WelleCo customers should aim for 2.5 litres, including your dose of WelleCo SUPER ELIXIR Greens. You will know if you are drinking too much if you get a bout of diarrhoea. It is your body’s way to saying ENOUGH!”
- Aim to drink 8 cups or 2-3 litres of water each day.
- Drink a jug of this Detox Water first thing every morning. It has a great alkalising effect, is beneficial for your endocrine system and immune system, helps reduce cravings and boosts the metabolism! Despite the lemons being acidic in their natural form, lemon water is alkaline-forming to the body once consumed.
- 1 litre of water
- 2 tablespoons of freshly-squeezed juice lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of cloudy apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, fresh cinnamon and agave to taste.
3. Drink lots of herbal teas like rooibos, peppermint, buchu and nettle.