Say the words “acid” and “alkaline” to me and I immediately have flashbacks to 1983; my dad in a pair of too-tight shorts kneeling by our backyard pool with what looked like a toy test tube kit…filling one side up with pool water, adding some pink-coloured drops, shaking it madly then holding it up to the sun and staring at it. It looked to me like some kind of wacky science experiment. In essence I suppose it was. He was testing the pH levels in the pool (probably a good thing because back then I’m sure you just chucked in an economy-sized bag of chlorine and hoped for the best). But much like a pool, your body functions at its best when it is maintaining optimum pH levels.
So why IS it important for our body? And why does it seem to be so important now? Could it be that in today’s health-conscious, internet-savvy society people are cottoning on to the fact that good health starts on the inside?
"An alkalised body can help you feel energised and full of life!"
The benefits of “alkalising” one’s body include warding off chronic diseases, improving your energy levels, aiding your immune system and empowering your general well-being. A good place to start is looking at the food we eat. Alkaline diet specialists often recommend the 80:20 rule which means consume around 80% of your diet from alkaline forming foods and 20% from acidic.
300g RefillVIEW PRODUCT
150g Trial PackVIEW PRODUCT
300g CaddyVIEW PRODUCT
But this is where it gets a bit tricky.. which foods are which?? Lemons must be acidic right? You can cook raw fish in the acid from the lemon juice alone!! And yoghurt? Well that has to be alkaline.. it’s the only thing that soothes a burning throat. Wrong on both accounts. Lemons are actually one of the most alkaline-forming foods you can have and yoghurt is highly acidic when in the gut. Greenopedia.com has actually provided a great list of which foods fall into which categories and you can find it here.
Everyone wants to be healthy and feel full of life… and an alkalised body can help you get there.
My top 5 tips for going alkaline
1. Start your day with some water and lemon. Add a squeeze of lemon into some lukewarm water and drink before breakfast.
2. Reduce the amount of wheat, red meat, dairy, refined sugar and alcohol in your diet. I know this sounds like a universal tip that just get applied to EVERYTHING these days but if you put them into the 20% part of your diet you can still enjoy them in moderation!!
3. Include a good probiotic into your diet. Especially over the holiday season or after a course of antibiotics - a probiotic helps restore good gut flora.
4. Switch to cooking with coconut or avocado oil - both of these fats are incredible for overall health and our bodies do need some fats!!!
5. Invest in a great greens supplement. I recommend THE SUPER ELIXIR Alkalising Formula - it’s a combination of 45 natural ingredients including super greens, Chinese herbs and digestive enzymes and is formulated to be absorbed by your body at a cellular level, optimising the function of all of your body’s systems. It’s vegan-friendly and free from dairy, gluten and preservatives.
|SHOP SUPER ELIXIR ALKALIZING FORMULA|