We came across this great and healthy recipe on our favourite Mind Body Green and we had to share! Not only is this dish highly alkaline, it uses parmesan which is definitely a healthy alternative when cheese is the perfect addition to your dish.
For the salad
- 1 cup lacinato kale, de-stemmed and sliced thin
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- handful of cilantro + parlsey, chopped
- handful of roasted sunflower seeds
For the Broccoli Pesto
- 1 cup raw broccoli, broken into small florets
- handful of fresh basil
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- salt + pepper
For the Roasted Beet Hummus
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted beets
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 2 whole wheat wraps
1. Make the pesto: Put 2 cups of water into saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then add the broccoli. Turn heat down to medium to get a simmer and cook for the broccoli until fork tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain. Place all the other pesto ingredients aside from the olive oil and salt and pepper in a food processor. Add the broccoli. Start bending on a low speed while slowly adding in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Make the hummus: Place all ingredients aside from olive oil and salt and pepper in a food processor. Start bending on a low speed while slowly adding in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour broccoli pesto over top and toss to combine. If serving as a salad, plate the salad with the Roasted Beet Hummus and wrap on the side. If serving as a wrap, spread about a tablespoon of hummus over the wrap and place about a half a cup of the salad in the middle. Wrap it up and serve.
Source: Mind Body Green