Dr Laubscher explains how to detox one of the most important organs in the body; the liver.
"The liver is the powerhouse for removing toxins out of the body. If you don't remove toxins from the body, you become more acidic and from there illness can grow (as poor health and illness is encouraged in an acidic environment). The knock on effect if the liver isn't processing well? It affects your gall bladder, concentration, skin and your body fat."
10 tips to detox your liver
1. Implement a daily ‘love your liver’ routine by adding THE SUPER ELIXIR Alkalising Greens. Our Alkalising Greens not only helps to maintain good nutrition, but contains dandelion, a healing herb that helps to remove harmful toxins from the liver.
2. Drink 2 litres of clean, filtered water daily and don't use plastic water bottles that have been left in the sun. This is due to the bleaching of hormones and chemicals that can contaminate the water.
3. Reduce all food additives, E numbers, MSG etc in your diet to reduce the work load on your liver.
4. Eat more organic fruit and veg when you can, or get the organic effect with WelleCo Fruit & Veggie Wash.
5. Limit your coffee/tea to one per day and always one hour away from food. Switch over to a non-dairy milk such as almond milk
6. Get rid of all nasty trans fats which are in most margarines and therefore rampant in the cake and cookie market. Add in more food fats such as avocado, flaxseed, olive oil and fish oils. Limit your total fat intake to 20% of your diet.
7. Eat more plant-based protein and less animal protein. This reduces the by-product of toxins released when the liver breaks down animal protein. Our SUPER ELIXIR Nourishing Protein is a clean, all-plant source of protein with all 9 essential amino acids.
8. Do cardiovascular exercise 4 times a week, as obesity is linked to liver disease.
9. Limit alcohol, which can cause cirrhosis, to one drink every other day for women and two for men. Even if you were once a heavier drinker and have since cut or eliminated alcohol intake, the damage may not show up until years later.
10. Try to reduce over the counter and all medications. Of course if you have a chronic illness take what your doctor has prescribed, but in your daily life for example if you get a headache drink more water, go for a walk, do some exercise or reduce your caffeine instead of instantly reaching for a headache tablet.